Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Run Before Hurricane Irene

First and foremost I got insanity in the mail!!  I haven't tried it yet but I am going to start next week.  Anyone have any suggestions where to start?



Now to the matter at hand. Yes, hurricane Irene is headed this way.  No, I wasn't planning on going for my full 20 miles but I still wanted to get a run in before the rain.  I really wanted to go around the city and take picture of everything before she hits.  I didn't pay attention to time but I did stop my watch every time I took a picture.   This allowed me to keep a pretty good pace.  I came in at 12 miles at a 8:30 avg. pace.

 If you walk directly out of my apartment into the street and look down you can see this. Yes we are close to the water.  That cross street is considered Zone A then we are in Zone C, not sure where B went but I guess we should be ok because they only evacuated Zone A.


I have been wanted to take a picture of this forever! This is on the Williamsburg Bridge coming into the city.  See the rainbow tiles on each overhead bar.  So cool right?!  I love them!


I headed towns the World Trade Center building so I ran through Chinatown. All of these people are waiting for the Chinatown bus that will take them to D.C.


World Trade. The biggest concern here is the large cranes.  You can only see a couple here but there are a total of 13! The cranes are not meant for Hurricane winds.  For the past 2 days they have been securing them but we will see what happens there.


This is a picture from the pier right about Battery Park City which has been evacuated.  Mostly likely it will be underwater after this is over.  This is also the edge of the Hudson River that goes into the ocean.  If you look closely you will see the Statue of Liberty.  The waters were very calm and kind of creepy.  The city was very quite this morning.  People are not really sure what to expect.


More from Battery Park.

Good luck Lilac ship!

Good luck to these boats as well.  I mean I am not really sure why people did move them up river further but maybe they are out of town.  Think these ones might have a tough time.


Restaurants and Convient Stores are now all being boarded and taped up!





A lot of people who don't live here think that the people who are staying are nuts.  I can see why they would think that.  Just remember a lot of people here have no where to go.  This is all they have.  There are 8 million people in the city alone and I can tell you a lot of them are still here.  Keep us in your prayers!  It is foretasted to be sunny on Monday, I am looking forward to that.

Hope you all have a good weekend!
XX
Sarah

13 comments:

  1. Please help me by reading my appeal on my profile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay safe this weekend Sarah! I think it's so cool that you did your run and took pictures before the storm. If you can, send out a little quick update after the storm has come through so everyone knows you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe. I am in PA so i will get a little of the weather but nothing like you might see. I agree if you power allows let us know all is well there in Zone C!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it'll be as bad in Boston but this city is totally preparing, too! Unfortunately, I have to WORK during the brunt of the storm. Hopefully it keeps people out of the ER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! We've lived through a couple nasty hurricanes in Houston, y'all will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen Run Fater Mommy's Insanity Diaries?

    Here is a link http://www.runfastermommy.com/p/insanity-diaries.html

    Hope you weather the storm safely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh... typo

    That should have been Run Faster Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are well and surviving the storm!

    I would love to try Insanity - looking foward to hearing how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful neighborhood, I. Love. It. Glad we survived Irene. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool pictures. I am definitely thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard such good things about Insanity! Very curious to see if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you stayed safe! My sis in Astoria stayed through the storm, we've been getting rain from Irene ALL DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll love Insanity! Check out my blog posting on it if you want some insider info: http://monikasmiles.blogspot.com/2011/08/results-are-in-insanity.html

    I absolutely loved it, but it will kick your butt for sure. Make sure you take your off day into serious consideration, you'll want that day to be totally off.

    Hope all is okay after Irene!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...