Monday, May 7, 2012

Long Island Race Report

Yesterday I woke up at 5 had my usual toast with almond butter, chia seeds, banana and cinnamon and got dressed and ready to go.  I left the house my 6 and drove out to Uniondale in Long Island.  It was nice because there was no traffic and it only took 30 mins to get there.  I drank a spark in the car and then had some caffeine and advil 15 mins before the race started.  Total bathroom trips before it all started was about 5-6 only 2 at the race though. 

The weather was perfect about 55 and overcast.  A little humid but not that bad....yet! I really wanted to have a good race.  I wanted to start out slow which I did.  First three miles were in the 9:30s. It was a really small race.  Most of the people where doing the half.  So this is how it went down.

I finished at 4:05 with a 9:26 avg pace.  This is obviously for me, slower than I wanted to run this race.  But I wasn't expecting much since I only trained for 6 weeks and overall did about 5 speed workouts.  I never did my 20 miler and I hadn't logged too many miles.  So I am not too disappointed yet.  My goal was too have fun with no stopping and I did just that.

Here is the map of the race.  By starting off super slow I had trouble picking it up to where I needed to be which in my mind which was between an 8-8:20 pace.  I was only coming in around 8:30. I am not sure why but I just couldn't force myself to go faster.  I was so afraid of running out of energy too soon that I played it safe.  We were with the half marathoners up to mile 10, after that we split off and headed down the freeway.  Let me tell you, it got very lonely out there.  There were hardly any runners and it was super quite.  Not really any spectators.  I told myself before the race started no music till mile 15 and so I was counting it down till I got there.  It was tough.

I found a runner and we began to pace each other, kind of working together.  I would follow behind him or vice versa.  It  worked pretty good until about mile 19-20.  He fell off behind and it was back to being just me again.  Let me tell you that my soreness hit super early.  Mile 13! I am not sure why this happened but it did.  I took advil at mile 16 and was really wishing for more at mile 22.

I hit my wall at 18, I could feel it come in, my left hand went completely numb and my fingers were freezing.   I started to see the darkness set in and because I knew exactly what it was I was able to push through it and over come it.  Even though I didn't walk I did slow down and walk through the water stations.  It was hot by mid race and the sun, when it was out was a scorcher so I wanted to make sure I drank water at every station.  PS the Gatorade chews.... not a good idea.  They were super hard to get out of the package and at one point I almost didn't think I was going to get them out to eat.  Way too much effort.

Walking to the starting line.

From mile 15 on I slowed down even more.  My legs were tight and sore. I remember at mile 13 my right foot under my pinky toe was really hurting and then I knew.  My compression socks give me blisters and I still continue to wear them.  I am not sure why.  At mile 19 I began to only think positive thoughts until my race was over.  Luckily at mile 23 there were spectators again (but really only for a bit) and the majority of them were at mile 25 until the end.  I didn't realize how much specters help in a race.  They keep your mind somewhere else especially if you are running alone.

I was happy to cross the finish line. I went straight to the medical tent to get ice that I could sit on. LOL My butt muscles where super tight. I was tired and ready to go home.  I got my finishers bag that had a bagel, banana, apples and orange.  I was beginning to feel like I was going to throw up.  I focused on putting one foot in front of the other and began to walk to my car and make phone calls. I had no recovery drink and I really really needed one.  I lost way more salt that I thought I had.  I could see it all over my body and my face.  When I showered after I got home I could taste it running off of me. 

Finally after finding my car which took a long walk and some asking of directions I got in and headed home.  I managed to munch on the bagel and banana.  I ran out of water so I was super thirsty.


I was major dehydrated.  I was starting to worry that I was going to have the same issue as Jen did during the goofy and need to get an iv.  Scott made me eggs that I could hardly eat.   I showered got dressed relaxed a little and I was feeling a little better so we decided to go get some fro-yo in the city.  We took the bike and it was super nice and sunny.  I started to drink more and more water.  Mistake.  As we got into the city from Brooklyn I thought I was going to be sick again.  I really had to focus on not throwing up.

We got to 16 handles and I couldn't even get my own.  I had to have Scott do it because I did not want to be throwing up in the yogurt shop.  I ate my yogurt, sat for a little and was starting to feel better.  I actually can't believe how much it helped me feel better. 

By the time we got back home I was starving.  This was a good sign so we hung out with the dog for an hour then went and ate dinner.  I was craving something juicy and fatty.  This burger did the trick.  It was so so good!

I have been drinking Gatorade to help and today I am feeling much better.  Still a little tired and sore but much better than yesterday. As I think back now I am bummed that I didn't push myself harder for a better time.   I am starting to feel like maybe 4 hours is the best I can do.  I should be happy with that but I still want a better time.  I want to run a race and have everything go right.  I just don't know if that is going to happen for me.  My training runs are always stronger than my races.  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  I want to PR but for some reason I haven't been able to do it. My best time was 3:56 back in AZ.

I am wondering if I should take some time off from racing?  I wanted to plan on running the Twin Cities marathon in Oct but now I am not sure.  Am I strong enough?  So yes I am sad today.  I am tired and I know I will feel better tomorrow so I will decide then.

Even though I am sad I am happy that I have #6 under my belt.  Each one is a learning experience. 

Next up the NYC Women's Mini 10k in June! 



  1. Congrats on finishing another marathon!

  2. Congratulations on a great race! 4:05 is not a bad time at all for only training for 6 weeks. I trained for 12 weeks or more and ran a 4:05 so you did great!!

  3. Even if it didn't go perfect, seems like the run went pretty well. Seems like the race needed more spectators out there!

    1. Yes is was a good race actually! I should have emphasized it more. Overall I did enjoy it but deftly more spectators!

  4. Congratulations on another marathon!

  5. Congratulations on finishing in an amazing time.
    I love your pink compression socks!!!

  6. 6 weeks? thats it? i would have walked. haha. AWESOME SARAH!

    1. Yes well I was running before throughout my week like normal but didn't sign up until 6 weeks. Walking did sound tempting :)

      Thanks Lindsay!

  7. Sounds like you did great. You'll do better each time, not to worry.

  8. Another one under your belt. 4:05 is very respectable, especially since you didnt do many long runs! What's your next training schedule like? We need to sync up our long run....


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...