Thursday, June 30, 2011

Oysters and Flips!

Most of you know I am still in Minnesota visiting my family.  So far eating and relaxing have been my main focuses although I have been able to get in some runs.  I am loving my book, Born to Run.  In the story it talks a lot about how these super athlete peeps run because they love it. So I have been trying to use that same mentality while I have been running. It has been fun!  Of course, my runs lately are all recovery and pretty easy with low mileage. So really we will just have to wait and see what my brain decides to come up with when my workouts get hard again.....ahhh if I could only totally control my brains and tell it to run super fast on command etc. etc......

Anywhoo, onto more important things.  First, OYSTERS.  When I come into town my parents always take me to eat at one of my favorite restaurants Oceanaire.  It has by far some of the best (if not the total best) seafood ever.  I have eaten lots of places and tried lots of things so you are gonna have to trust me on this one.  EXCELLENT.  I have never been disappointed.  



One of the main reasons it is delicious is because of their awesome selection of Oysters.  My favorite "type" if you call it that of seafood is Oysters on the 1/2 shell.  If you aren't familiar with that term it is basically Oysters that have been shucked and served on ice.  You can then drizzle with fresh lemon, sometimes the occasional dap of cocktail sauce and horseradish.  Then get ready for one of the most amazing experiences you can encounter.  The texture and flavor is soooo amazing and delicate that it literally leaves you craving for more.  Really! My dad and I started with 1 dozen to share and ended up ordering another dozen.  24 Oysters we polished off. I also ordered a grilled halibut, some Szechuan green beans and creamed corn.  I am starting to drool as I type.

Our first dozen Oysters.  DELISH.


My mom was totally grossed out when I told her they were still alive when you eat them.  =)


My dad and I on our second dozen.  Another weird fact about Oysters is how different tasting they are from each other. What coast they are from, how big they are, what there outer shell looks like. They are all very different.


Ok, and the second part of this post..... FLIPS.  Who can do a flip off the diving board?  When I was younger i could do all kinds of crazy things, flips of all sorts, twists, dives, etc. etc.  The list goes on.  Then life goes on and as a 30 something year old lady I was wondering if I could still do it.  YES for us older ladies =)



Happy Running, eating and flipping all!  -Jen

14 comments:

  1. This is totally awesome!! Wish I was there with you guys. Love that pic of you and Dad! Grace is hilarious that she landed on her head. I am impressed that she tired.

    Miss you guys!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I love oysters, but I like them straight off the grill. I actually had to get over the texture when I first had them, though. Slimy but oh so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried Oysters and honestly just don't get it! I am glad you had a good time though and enjoyed yourself. Nice flip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen is there anything that you CAN'T do???? Oh and by the way when you get your pretty little self home-I have a quilt that needs quilting:)FINALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Born to Run was completely transforming for me in how I viewed running (seeing it as FUN) and how I viewed my body's capabilities (I could do way more than I was setting myself up for!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock Jen!!! I haven't flipped off the diving board in years!!!

    Have a blast with your family! Enjoy those oysters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oysters to me = gag! I'm so impressed with your flip - how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just experienced oysters for the first time on my birthday this year! I'm in love. My mom has a severe shellfish allergy, so I was pretty sheltered from the good stuff most of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished Born to Run and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome flip!! My flips always turn into side twists?!

    Oysters are quite..interesting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loves oysters. I always laugh when he makes the sucking noise to get them off the shell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice flip! I love osyters and the hubby and I went to Hog Island in Cali for fresh oysters on our honeymoon. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...